09 June 2010

BICYCLISTS VS. MOTORISTS


Cycling is a great source for exercise & sightseeing. Packing a lunch & putting some miles under the bicycle can be & is cathartic as well. Riding with others increases the pleasure of the day.

Bicyclists seem to be everywhere, especially on two-lane country or mountain roads. This presents problems to the motorist & is not appreciated by the motorist.

Bicyclists are, by law, suppose to stop at stop signs, pull over when approached by motor vehicles, wear reflective clothing & ride single-file or staggered NOT side-by-side. When stopped, not riding, they are to be OFF the road, not standing on the road chatting.

This is some very nice scenery resplendent with deer, hawks, eagles, ospreys, guinea hens, herons, coyote, foxes & other gorgeous animals. There is Jordan Lake, Haw River & tributaries to pedal past as well. All of this is beautiful.

These enthusiasts began using the roads around my area for races & weekend cruises. They are some of the most unfriendly, obnoxious crowd I have had the displeasure to be around.

Recently, one of my brothers was driving on a back road & encountered a gaggle of cyclists riding spread-out & side-by-side. Brother had his children with him & did not want to make a scene. After a few minutes & a few honks & requests for the cyclists to pull-over & refusing to do so, Brother finally got a break & past this group. At this point, in order to make a point, Brother slowed down to 10-15 mph. At this time the cyclists began shouting (& cussing) for Brother to move on. Brother reminded the pedal pushers that he had children in the van. He also made comments on what a beautiful day it was to be out riding the bicycles. Brother left the group after a couple of minutes.

I used to ride bicycles until mine was stolen (a very nice 21-speed mountain bike). I was even on the Bicycle Patrol when I was active duty. I taught my daughter how to ride while I was in Long Beach, CA. There is a place that REALLY knows how to make a cyclist feel comfortable.

As a driver of motorcycle & car, I DO stop (completely) at the stop sign (not ahead of it) & THEN look at traffic (you can inquire about this from anyone that knows me… it drives them nuts). These people are NOT “Bikers”, cyclists is the best (pleasant) term for them. The cyclists around here do NOT stop at the signs or lights. I have even tried to stop them (non-violently). Their replies will not be transcribed here as I wish to keep this blog accessible to minors.

My request/desire/dream/hope is for all these people to READ the North Carolina laws for bicycling & adhere to them. I also want all the motorists to adhere to the same laws & be considerate to these cyclists. Remember, BOTH parties cause road-rage.

Today's cookie - "No habla English? Habla Smith & Wesson?" What movie was this?

No comments:

Post a Comment